Vet
Vet, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have spent many years in mixed practice, dealing with all the major species.
76153631

Hi, please can you advise on what to do. I have a Sawback

Hi, please can you advise on what to do. I have a Sawback Turtle about 18 months old. Its eyes have been closed for over a month now and it has not been eating. It has now developed a flap of white skin over one eye. We have tried eye drops for it and adding Vitamin A to the water. Could you suggest what to do? Paul Ingleby
Expert:  Vet replied 2 years ago.
Vet :

Hi there, vet Andrew here.

Customer:

Sorry i missed you. Can you give an answer or do you need more information? Julie

Vet :

No problem Julie. The notifications are coming through slowly at the moment, but I wanted to make sure you're available.

Vet :

What do you feed him on?

Customer:

Hi, we feed them supa turtle food and occasionally prawns and chicken

Customer:

Hi, we feed them on supa turtle food and occasionally prawns and chicken. Another 2 turtles in tank both sliders one same age the other one year older

Vet : My immediate suspicion is vitamin A deficiency. This is a fat-soluble vitamin so he may not be getting enough with additives to the water. I would either buy a commercial turtle vitamin A supplement, or try adding cod liver oil to his food at one drop daily till the eyes return to normal, then a drop twice weekly.
Vet : if you're having no luck after a week of treatment he may need a booster jab of vitamin A from your vet. This is the best way of getting it into him. The preparation I use needs two jabs two weeks apart. I hope this helps, and please don't hesitate to ask further questions on this thread until you are happy.
Vet : Regards
Vet : Vet Andrew
Customer:

Thanks for that. Do you have ideas on how to get him to eat? We've tried separating him from others when feeding but still not interested. Any ideas for food they really like?

Vet :

Sorry we keep missing each other. The best thing for sick turtles is freeze-dried shrimp and krill. Offer this, and if still no luck you may be forced to go the vet/vitamin A jab route.

Customer:

Will try that. Thanks for all your help.