Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My dog starting hold her hind leg up last night, doesn't appear

My dog starting hold her hind leg up last night, doesn't appear to be in pain. Do I take her to vet this morning as she is still hding hind leg up this morning or do I rest her for another day yet
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Did she have a fall or any trauma prior to holding the leg up?

Can you check her leg for me and tell me:

* Do all her nails appear well attached and normal (no sign of any being cracked or partially pulled off)?

* If you feel up the leg, any swellings, wounds, tender spots, unstable spots, or crunching of the bone?

*Does her knee feel swollen compared to the other one?

* Does she mind if you flex/extend all her joints?

Can she put the leg down with her toes on the ground at all (even for a moment)? Or does the leg look almost too short to reach the ground?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yeah she can out weight on it ok and now appears to be ok this morning now after rest
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

I am glad that she can weight bear on this leg since this would rule out urgent issues like hip dislocation (a concern when we have very lame hind legs). Further to this, if you are not feeling any of those issues I asked about and she is walking better after a rest, then this tells us that she has likely only a muscle strain/sprain.

Therefore, since she isn't overtly painful, you can monitor her for the next few days. If you choose to do so, make sure to restrict activity and rest this leg. Specifically, we'd only want to have lead walks into the garden to do her business and then back inside (no stairs, jumping, or climbing on furniture). As well you can use a bit of supportive care to help this settle for her. If she is amenable, you can consider massaging or warm compressing the leg. If you don't have a warm compress on hand, you can make a microwaveable one by filling a sock 2/3rd full with rice and popping it in the microwave for a few minutes (of course, do give it a shake afterwards to distribute the heat and make sure its not too warm before use).

As well, since her signs are mild, you can consider some supplements to naturally reduce inflammation and support her joints. For example, you can consider supplementing her with fish oil (omega 3 or 6; EPA/DHA) and/or glucosamine/chondroitin. In regards ***** ***** former, these can be helpful as they do have anti-inflammatory properties. In regards ***** ***** we tend to give this at a rate of 20mg per pound of their body weight. And while more a long term option, it could just help soothe her inflammation and get her more comfortable quicker. Furthermore, you can use glucosamine/chondroitin here. These are a nutrient supplement that is available at your vets, pet shops, and health food stores (as capsules, liquids, and even treats). They work to aid joint suppleness by helping cartilage replenish itself and blocking enzyme destruction of cartilage in the joint. Normally we give dogs 300mg glucosamine + 50mg chondroitin a day per 10 pounds of body weight. So, these would be worth consideration for her as well.

Finally, if you rest her and try the above but she still shows weakness in this leg even after rest, then we'd want to follow up with her vet. They can check the leg for any signs of injury or soft tissue inflammation. Depending on their findings, they can dispense dog safe pain relief/anti-inflammatory medication (ie Metacam, Rimadyl, Previcox, etc) to reduce any swelling and discomfort and get her using the leg properly again sooner.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.