Vet
Vet, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have spent many years in mixed practice, dealing with all the major species.
76153631

can i gave my dog penicillin straight into the eye unknown

can i gave my dog penicillin straight into the eye unknown cause waht happened its eye but has been seen by vet and vet wants to remove it i am aware that she is now blind in the eye but i am keen to try and dry up the ooze to prevent getting it removed
Expert:  Vet replied 3 years ago.
Vet :

Hi there, vet Andrew here. Was there an injury to the eye?

Customer:

it is thought that she was hit with a sharp object while getting groomed however it is not definate her eye is very thick green mucus and like smog over it vet said it could be removed but not completely necessary however she is blind in it he said

Vet :

What age and breed is she?

Customer:

coming 7 bichoen fraise

Vet :

What type of penicillin do you have?

Customer:

pen and strep

Vet :

Ok. It's easier to remove the eye soon after the injury, as there will not be so much scarring. If you're sure you don't want this then you could keep infection at bay and let the eye 'organise' naturally as follows:

Vet :

1. Wipe away any excess mucus carefully with a damp piece of kitchen towel.

Vet :

2. Instill 0.5 ml or so into the eye (don't forget to shake the bottle before drawing it up).

Vet :

3. Work the eyelids a little to let the fluid seep in.

Vet :

Do this once or twice daily if you can. Keep going until the eye starts to heal over naturally - it may be three weeks or more.

Vet :

Keep looking for pain or swelling around the area which may indicate an abscess if forming. This will need surgical drainage.

Vet :

Do you have any further questions?

Customer:

ill try the above do u think it will clean the eye out so as it looks normal despite that she wont see with it

Vet :

The eye needs to scar and organise itself internally. Once this has happened, the excess mucus will stop appearing, although she may have a little weepiness there which you can clean away daily. It will eventually become shrunken and white.

Customer:

aw ok thats fine thank you that was most helpful

Customer:

no thats fine you were very helpful

Vet :

https://www.petfinder.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/dog-adoption-german-shepherd-tank-muraco.jpg

Vet :

This should give you some idea