Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Hello. My house rabbit Millie has a very wet chin, with matted

Hello. My house rabbit Millie has a very wet chin, with matted hair & sore skin. Has she got a dental problem?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
I share your concern about Millie. The signs you have described are highly suspect of oral disease. Most commonly it will be due to tooth overgrowth and dental disease. Though in older rabbits, we also have to be wary that oral growths and masses in the mouth can also cause drooling leading to a wet chin, hair matting or loss, and ulcerated sore skin. Further to these external signs, we can also see more subtle signs when a rabbit has an oral issue. Specifically, they can start to selectively graze their food, choosing to eat soft foods (avoiding their hay and sometimes even hard veggies like carrots). And in severe cases, they can even go off their food all together (which is an emergency situation for rabbits).
With all this in mind, if you are seeing these signs, then it is highly advisable to have Millie's mouth examined by her vet urgently (not a an emergency tonight but ideally tomorrow or soon). They will be able to assess the state of her teeth and rule out any nasty growths or masses. If her teeth are overgrown, then they will be able to admit her for a dental to remove any tooth spurs or spikes. Once her teeth are back to an ideal state, you will then want to make sure she keeps eating her forage/hay, hard veggies, and has access to chews to help keep her teeth worn down, in correct alignment with one another to prevent future issue.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )