Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

I have a 5yr old Bichon Frise. Just lately Ive been cleaning

I have a 5yr old Bichon Frise. Just lately Ive been cleaning her urinary area as it appears sticky & gritty with what looks like white particles of some sort. Can you advise me please
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Susan :

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

Dr. Susan :

It sounds like your little girl is forming crystals/stones in her urinary tract.

Dr. Susan :

Bichon's are one of the breeds that are more likely to form something called struvite stones.

Dr. Susan :

These are often linked to urinary tract infections as well.

Dr. Susan :

I highly recommend having her evaluated by your regular vet.

Dr. Susan :

I would start with a physical exam and x-ray of her abdomen.

Dr. Susan :

This particular type of stone shows up very well on x-ray.

Dr. Susan :

We may need to change her diet to try to dissolve the stones, or she may require surgery.

Dr. Susan :

This is not an emergency yet, but if you note her straining to urinate without producing much, this could indicate that she has a urinary obstruction.

Dr. Susan :

If she seems uncomfortable, she should be seen right away.

Dr. Susan :

If I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask. If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION.

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Customer:

Thank you. I just wanted to know if I should take her to my vet or not. The costs as I'm sure you're aware can be expensive when money is tight.

Dr. Susan :

I know it!

Dr. Susan :

It's good to know what to expect when you walk in the door too.

Dr. Susan :

Since she isn't having any problems with urination right now, we can wait and try to treat her medically while you monitor her.

Dr. Susan :

If you are able, I would try to collect some of that grit from her urine to give to her vet. They can submit these tiny stones to a lab to analyze.

Dr. Susan :

Once we know the type of stone, we will know if we might be able to dissolve the stones with a diet change.