Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My pony ate normally last night and acted happy and content,

Customer Question

My pony ate normally last night and acted happy and content, he was found dead this morning, he was 20 but appears to have sweated and circled his stable. Are my other two horses at risk?
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about your pony....I know this must be devastating for you....

The most common cause for this sudden form of death is a twisted stomach....this an happen suddenly in older ponies due to possibly tumors, benign or not, or enteroliths or stones, that will interfere with the stomach to cause a digestive disturbance and a subsequent twisting off of the stomach causing sudden death when the stomach bursts. The signs of sweating and circling tells us that this was a colic of some form that progressed to this twisting of the stomach. The only way to resolve this is immediate surgery and since this is most often in the middle of the night, you will not see this until too late. Your other horses and ponies are not at risk....this is something that was only in this pony.

Again, I am so sorry!! I know this is hard....Your vet can perform a Necropsy to know for sure.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****
Thank you so much for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I know how hard this can be....