Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

My puppy was born on the 3rd of June he had his first vaccination

My puppy was born on the 3rd of June he had his first vaccination of Vanguard 7 on the 08th of August and then a single jab on the 23rd August of Vanguard Lepto! I now have a different vet telling me that my puppy is not protected at all and needs a new set of jabs, please help
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Susan :

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

Dr. Susan :

I agree with the second vet.

Dr. Susan :

Each vaccine needs to be boostered at least once after the dog reaches 16 weeks of age.

Dr. Susan :

Your puppy was only 11 weeks old when he received his lepto vaccine, and never even received a booster of the full distemper vaccine.

Dr. Susan :

Your puppy should get another distemper with lepto vaccine now, and will then be covered for the next year.

Dr. Susan :

Another Vanguard 7 would be sufficient at this time.

Customer: Vangard is unfortunately not available here and she uses a different vaccine, does he need to start again in that case?
Dr. Susan :

No, I would not start him over.

Dr. Susan :

Basically, his immune system has been exposed to these vaccines before. We know it should be mature enough to respond appropriately and protect him in the future, now that he is over 16 weeks of age.

Dr. Susan :

We know that some puppies still have antibodies that they had from their mother until that time, and they go away at different ages for each individual.

Dr. Susan :

That's why we continue to vaccinate until 16 weeks - we know their immune system is mature enough and there is no maternal antibody left to block the vaccines from working.

Dr. Susan :

Did that make sense?

Customer: I am not sure the vaccines she wants to use is canvac 8
Dr. Susan :

One moment, let me look that one up. I haven't used it.

Customer: And again in 3 weeks
Dr. Susan :

OK, I haven't used the Dyntec brand of vaccines, but they may not be available in the US.

Dr. Susan :

The specific illnesses that it vaccinates for would be fine.

Dr. Susan :

I can understand why she would want to repeat the series and vaccinate twice, that is an individual call. I don't think that is wrong.

Dr. Susan :

She sounds trustworthy, I think you have found a better vet now!

Customer: So I should let her do the whole thing again, or can I opt just for one as a booster
Dr. Susan :

I personally think that a single booster would be sufficient. However, as I mentioned, I think you found a good vet. I would follow her advice here so she isn't offended. It will not be harmful for your puppy to receive another 2 vaccines.

Customer: Thank you very much you were very helpful!
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience: 8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics