Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Dog back from kennelling last night constantly sick since......

Dog back from kennelling last night constantly sick since...... Suspect kennel feed different kibble mix and now the transition is too much?
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your fellow is vomiting after spending a couple days at a boarding facility. Is he bright and active? If so I am much less concerned. If he seems lethargic then we must keep a much closer eye on him.
It is possible that he got quite stressed while at the facility and that has led to an upset stomach.
If you didn't send his regular food with him, or they accidentally fed him the wrong food, perhaps he has an upset stomach due to eating unfamiliar food.
It is possible that he picked up an infection too while he was there and thus doesn't feel well, that would seem more likely if he is having diarrhea and he is lethargic too.
At this point we can try some things at home but he may need to see a veterinarian if he isn't coming along well.
To try and settle his stomach you can try either:
1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 10 to 20 kilograms of body weight
 every 12 hours.
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 10 to 20 kilograms of body weight
 every 24 hours.
These will reduce stomach acid and should help if this is related to simple nausea and gastrointestinal irritation from stress or a sudden diet change. They are quite safe and can be used for several days if necessary.
Starting a couple hours after the acid reducers offer him a small amounts of water, clear broth like low salt beef or chicken broth or ice cubes and see what he does.
If the vomiting resolves then tomorrow offer him a bland diet mix of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger (or boiled, white skinless chicken), all fats and juices drained off the meat, mixed with 2/3 boiled, plain white rice or pasta. Feed several small meals a day.
Once he feels better (no vomiting for 48 to 72 hours) start mixing in his regular dog food very slowly. Less bland more regular with each day. It should take a week or so to convert him back.
If he has a tense painful abdomen, becomes very lethargic, begins vomiting again, or runs a fever greater than 103.5F then he really must be seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible. Make sure to take a fresh stool sample with you when you go to make sure he hasn't picked up a parasite.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.