Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Thirty years experience in small animal medicine and surgery.
56364752

my six year old dog has started to drink a lot of water,and

Customer Question

my six year old dog has started to drink a lot of water,and is just weeing everywhere even in her bed,what is causing it I am on benefits and cant afford the fees,is there anything else I can do for free advice or help
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Barbara :

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. I am a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help. Bow Dee has the classic symptoms of diabetes, kidney disease, bladder infection,or cushings disease. All of these are treatable or manageable but a blood profile and a urinalysis are required to sort out her problem. In the meantime, at home, make sure she has plenty of water to drink and access to potty outside every hour or so.

Dr. Barbara :

It is possible also, that she has a urinary incontinence in addition to one of the above diseases. This is common in spayed female dogs as they get older, and is also very treatable.

Dr. Barbara :

I do understand about your financial issue. Here in the US we have a program called Care Credit. This allows you to request credit and get a reply from them in minutes. Most people do receive the credit. Usually, then, you have interest free credit for 6 months, so you can spread out your payments to Care Credit (or I'm assuming the UK would have a similar program). You should also talk with your vet there about making payments for Bow Dee's tests and treatment. I wish there was more that you could do at home, but there just isn't.

JACUSTOMER-5lllki2g- :

how much will it cost for the blood testts

Dr. Barbara :

I'm functioning in US dollars and the price can vary greatly depending upon your location, but here it would be around $200 to $250 for the exam, blood profile and urinalysis. You could start with the exam and the blood profile, but if nothing is found in that then her problem is in the urinary tract, and the urinalysis would be needed. To do both the blood profile and the urinalysis at one time is generally less expensive than doing the blood test first and later doing the urinalysis.

Experience: Thirty years experience in small animal medicine and surgery.
Dear *****,
Thank you so much for your very kind rating. . .greatly appreciated!
I'd like very much to check in on Bow Dee and you in a few days to hear how thing are going. . .there is no more charge for this service.
Best of luck to you two in sorting this out,
Dr. Barbara
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks so much a trip to the vets on Monday,it is my seventeen year old daughters dog and she is so upset about her so hopefully this will reassure her susan and faye x

I am sorry that Bow Dee doesn't have something that we could address here. Once we know what is causing her to have PU/PD (Poly Urea / Poly Dypsia) (producing excess urine / drinking excessively) then if you have further questions we could address those here. (Your vet will be impressed when you tell him your dog has PU/PD!)
Hope all goes well,
Dr. Barbara
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi Barbara just letting you know bow dee has diabetes and is on twice daily insulin injections,it was an instant change in her back to her old self,once again thankyou susan

Hi Susan,
Thanks so much for letting me know, and hearing that Bow Dee is doing so well is great!
I have you down for a recheck in 5 days, just check up on you and BowDee and to see if any problems have occurred. Of course this thread stays open for awhile, so if anything pops up before then, I am available.
Take care,
Dr. Barbara