Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years with dogs, cats, exotic, wildlife and zoo animals, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

hi, my dog is shedding his toenails " 4 now" what is the cause,

hi, my dog is shedding his toenails " 4 now" what is the cause, and what can I do as the new ones are red and tender.
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 years ago.
Hello!
Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.
Is he able to walk even with the shed nails? Is he licking the red portions at all?
Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi,,he can walk but tries not to , and he licks the red portions a lot.

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the information. What he may have is a condition called lupoid onychodystrophy. This is NOT a diagnosis as a diagnosis is only possible with a biopsy but what you are describing is very typical. This condition can be painful due to the exposed red claw roots as well as the condition itself as there are likely other nails that are going to be lost. The only way to stop the licking from home is to put hydrocortisone cream on the nails and put the foot in a wrap with a LOT of gauze padding. This condition usually needs one of several different medication choices from now own as this is not a condition that can be cured but can be managed to make the nails stronger and not brittle. So for now heavy bandaging of the foot with cortisone cream until you can see the vet on Mon. If he is so sensitive that he tries to bite you while manipulating his foot then just leave it alone. Over the next couple of days the red parts will get a thick scab-like skin over it and become less sensitive. DO NOT give him anything over the counter for pain, all of those medications will prevent your vet from using proper oral medications out control the condition long term.
I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions.
Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks, ***** ***** get him to a vet on Monday as I did not know it was that serious .he does not let me near them as they must be very tender.thanks again.bob.

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 years ago.
Good luck to you both!
Dr. Dan