Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

2 year old ,normally healthy,Irish Setter has been gagging

2 year old ,normally healthy,Irish Setter has been gagging up white frothy mucus.Gums are pink.
The wretching start in gut area where there are audible gurgling/squealing noises.
Settled and quiet at present - should I go to 24 hr Vet service.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?
3- Any diarrhea?
4- Is he lethargic?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

1.6 HOURS

2.DO NOT KNOW - HAS`NT TOUCHED THIS EVENING`S MEAL.

3.NO

4.FULL OF ENERGY EARLIER TODAY,NOW WANTS TO LIE IN A CORNER.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- Is he hacking like if something was stuck in his throat?
2- Has he been around unfamiliar dogs like in a kennel, dog park, groomer, etc.?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

1.Its more of a wretch that starts in his belly -ultimately expelling the white frothy phlegm comes out with a `hacking` cough.

2. No, although one of the dogs he exercises with every morning developed a hacking cough 7 days ago.

The Vet did not confirm kennel cough but prescribed antibiotics & ant inflammatories.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Is it fair to say he is vomiting the phlegm secondary to the forceful gagging/hacking?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Tom, the hacking you are describing is consistent with kennel cough. The forceful hacking/gagging and abdominal effort is secondary to the inflammation in the upper airway and often will lead to vomiting. Having a history of being around another dog that recently was diagnosed with kennel cough further supports kennel cough. This can be caused by viruses or bacterias. Often we need to start them on oral antibiotics. In the meantime, start him on Robitussin DM (cough) 1 teaspoon every 6-8 hours for the next week. You can buy Robitussin over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist). Limit physical activity (no running) as this will promote the hacking/gagging. Follow up with family veterinarian for oral antibiotics.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry, the other dog was NOT diagnosed with Kennel cough.

The Vet actually said it WAS`NT kennel cough and prescribed antibiotics and anti inflamatories. Their dog improved in 72 hrs.

It`s 12.22am here so no Chemists open - are there any `home ` remedies I can use to safely suppress/lubricate his throat?

From what I`ve told you,do you think I can wait until morning to take him to our Vet?

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry for the misunderstanding Tom. But, I still believe that he does sound like he has kennel cough.

Do you have honey?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes I have honey which I gave to him earlier.

I have also melted honey into his water,along with lemon juice .

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Continue giving him 1 tablespoon of honey lightly sprinkled with salt over the top every 6-8 hours, this will help with the gagging/coughing.

Please reply if you have additional questions.

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.