Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

My 5 year old dalmation urinated blood last friday, I took

My 5 year old dalmation urinated blood last friday, I took him vets and he put him on tablets, I took him back today with a urine sample and acid was detected, he wants to put him on tablets but didn't have any in stock and asked me to come back Wednesday, shouldn't he be on them straight away?
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Susan :

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

Dr. Susan :

I'm concerned about Buster! Did your vet do any imaging of his abdomen with x-ray or ultrasound?

Customer:

No he just said to pick tablets up Wednesday, my sisters cat had to be put down couple of years ago because he had crystals and it wasn't picked up quick enough

Dr. Susan :

I see, I'm concerned about the possibility of ammonium urate stones.

Dr. Susan :

These are relatively common in male Dalmations, and they often present right around Buster's age.

Dr. Susan :

They cannot be viewed with routine x-ray.

Dr. Susan :

We need to use contrast in the bladder to view them on x-ray or view them with abdominal ultrasound.

Dr. Susan :

If he does have stones, we can consider trying to dissolve them with medication and diet, or simply removing them with surgery (cystotomy)

Dr. Susan :

Dissolving is no always successful, and as the stones get smaller we run the risk of one going into his urethra and causing obstruction - which will make surgery a necessity.

Dr. Susan :

I wonder if the tablets they are putting him on are allopurinol?

Dr. Susan :

This is he medication that we use with the diet (Hills U/D or Royal Canin UC foods) to try to dissolve urate stones.

Customer:

The vets I go to doesn't have any modern facilities and I am wondering about going to another vets tomorrow that has all the latest ultrasound, they treated my sisters cat when her local vet failed her, but it was too late for him, I've got pets insurance, and I remember them saying about changing the diet straight away which my vet hasn't mentioned. I was also concerened about he's hygiene levels, he washed the stringe out, dried it on he's hand towel and gave it me back to use again!

Dr. Susan :

What was the syringe used for? An injection or an oral medication?

Customer:

I put a urine sample in it

Dr. Susan :

I see. Well, I do think that his condition should be evaluated further. I really think we need more testing, knowing his high risk for ammonium urate stones. The bloody urine (hematuria) really draws a lot of suspicion.

Dr. Susan :

In the meantime, monitor his urinations closely. Make sure his stream appears strong.

Dr. Susan :

If at any point he appears to be straining without passing a normal amount of urine, or spurts of urine, this may mean he is becoming obstructed.

Dr. Susan :

This would be an emergency

Customer:

I have to drop my son off at boxing now, wasn't sure if you had finished or not, it still said you were typing