Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

a trace of blood in cat waste

a trace of blood in cat waste
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How old is the cat?

How long has you seen blood in its feces?

Are the feces diarrhea or normal?

Any mucus?

How is the cat otherwise? Eating, drinking, activity level normal?

Any weight loss?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Car is 7months old
Seen blod for 6 months
Feces is both normal / sometimes runny
No mucus
Cat is normal
No weight loss
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Now if your cat is only seven months and you have seen traces in blood for most of its life, this is a concern. While it is a small trace, seeing blood regularly in feces is abnormal and if often associated with inflammation or irritation of the lower bowel (colon). Now since the cat is other well and the stools are normal in appearance, issues like anal gland disease and bacterial colitis would be less likely here. Furthermore, at this wee ones's age, we'd hope rectal polyps and tumors would not be an issue here either. This leaves considerations like parasitic disease (ie whipworms), protozoal infections (ie giardia, coccidia, cryptosporidia, etc), and inflammatory colitis (which can even be related to the diet you feed).

Now since you didn't list a sex for your kitty and saying "it" just feels wrong, I am going to just refer to this cat as she/her. If this is a little boy, my apolgies but my advice applies to this kitten no matter the sex.

Anyway, in regards ***** ***** approach here, the first step would be to consider worming if you have not done so in the past month as this would remove the concern of parasitic causes. Ideally, we'd want to use Panacur, Drontal or Milbemax as it will cover all the worms in question and rule them out as the cause for her signs. These are available over the counter at the vets, pet stores, and some pharmacies. Do make sure you have an idea of this little one's weight before purchasing, so you make sure to get the right dose for her size.

From there, we'd next want to address and rule out inflammatory colitis. Quick diet changes ( by us or if the food company has made a recipe change) can cause this. To settle inflammatory coliris, we can often trial these cats on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples of bland diets would be boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk), or meat baby food (avoid those with garlic powder in the ingredients) Or, and ideal if we have a growing cat with a chronic issue, there are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used in cases like this (ie Hill’s I/D (LINK) or Royal Canin Sensitivity Control LINK)). The easily digestible diet will be better tolerated and absorbed by the compromised gut. And the hopes is that it will reduce GI irritation and thus stop the blood you are seeing. Often we will trial these for a week or two but if your cat responds then one of the balanced commercial diets I have noted would be long term options.

Finally, with the long chronic history already present in her short life, we do want to consider having a fecal sample tested. These can be very helpful in letting us know what is present and thus what we need to address. This can help you rule our worms, bacteria, and let you know if there is an underlying protozoal issue. Fecal samples can be submitted directly to your vet to be sent off (even before they have seen the cat). So, this would be something to consider if the above doesn't settle these long term signs.

So, I would advise the above approach since she is otherwise well in herself. If you try this and she doesn't settle, then we'd need to think about having a fecal sample or her personally checked. This will allow you to get an idea of which of the above are to blame for her signs and ensure she doesn't have any abnormalities within her GI that she isn't telling you about. Depending on the findings, you will know what needs to be addressed and your vet can then advise/dispense appropriate treatment to settle this.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )