Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

hi ive allways used frontline spot on on my cats for the treatment

hi ive allways used frontline spot on on my cats for the treatment and prevantion of fleas and ticks .however in the last month or so they just keep scrutching and ive actually seen fleas on them .why ? have they become imune to the treatment ?if so what would you advise to treat them with . thank you stella
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Are they strictly indoors?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

mostly in doors but they do go out into the garden

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Stella, when we see fleas on cats or dogs despite being on Frontline is not that the Frontline is not working, but, the environment is full of flea eggs/larva that are emerging new fleas and overwhelming the effectiveness of the Frontline. I would recommend to keep them indoors until you get rid of all of the fleas. In addition, this is what you can do:

1- Continue using Frontlne once a month.
2- Start them on another flea medication orally called Capstar, give it once a day every other day for 2 weeks.
3- Vacuum the home thoroughly and make sure to get rid of the vacuum bag when done.
4- Pick up a powder to treat the home called Fleabusters or any product with the ingredient: "Sodium Polyborate," this works really well against the eggs and larva yet it is safe for you and your cats.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, I am happy to address follow-up questions. P
lease do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter