Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My cat keeps wanted food and meows when she has been fed .I

Customer Question

My cat keeps wanted food and meows when she has been fed .I noticed some small black creatures like large woodlouse in her pooh .
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
Polyphagia - increased hunger - in a 14 year old cat is seen mainly with two disorders - diabetes mellitus and hyperthyroidism. Diabetes is more likely to also cause polydipsia (increased thirst); 35% of hyperthyroid cats are polydipsic, however.

The finding of parasites in the poo can result from cats grooming and then ingesting these parasites or you may be seeing insects that have crawled into the poo. Lice (Felicola subrostratus) are seen in cats but these are usually found in young, neglected, and underfed cats.

Chloe's vet can perform a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood/urine tests and let you know very quickly which of the above causes of her polyphagia exists. Diabetic cats are insulin dependent - at least initially - and so you would be asked to administer insulin injections. Hyperthyroid cats can be administer methimazole orally or transdermally; a special diet (Hill's y/d) may be prescribed and radioactive iodine therapy is also available for these cats.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a few days for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.
May I have an update on Chloe, please?