Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

We have an older girl cat. She has been leaving damp patches

Customer Question

We have an older girl cat. She has been leaving damp patches when she sit recenlty, like on a cushion. I have just noticed the runny liquid is watery red.
What do we need to do next?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
The most likely scenario is that she's incontinent because of a geriatric urinary tract infection (E. coli, usually) which has caused bleeding into the urine (hematuria). It would be prudent to have her vet perform a urinalysis which is likely to reveal bacteria and abnormal numbers of red and white blood cells. Therapy, then, would involve the administration of a broad spectrum antibiotic (or an antibiotic chosen after a bacterial culture and sensitivity was performed) for a week and then the urine is rechecked two days after the course of antibiotics is finished to make sure that the urinary tract has been sterilized.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you! that gives us a lot of relief. we will take her to the vet tomorrow.

It's my pleasure.

I'm going to check back with you in a few days for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sure

Speak to you soon.
May I have an update, please?