Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

ive got a staficher terrier about 5 yrs old

Customer Question

Dear sir ive got a staficher bull terrier about 5 yrs old she has always been a very active little dog enjoyed her 4 mile walks every day including the day before she got ill she seemed normal on the same day as she took ill by jumping up at me when i came in and running around then when i was takeing her out for her walk she didnt want to move and when she did get down off the setee she was limping and couldnt put her hind leg on the floor and it hurts to touch so i took her to the rspca and thay have kept her in thay have done a lot of tests on her and thay all come back negetive she dosnt respond to the treatment and her hind leg is still swolen badly on the muscal and her blood is starting to thin she wont eat and when she dose she vomits and the vet has said that her lymph nodes are swollen more than the other leg ive looked on line and found something that sound like the same symptoms could you please tell me if this is what she has got and the treatment for it the infection is called [ EHRLICHOSIS ] THIS INFECTION IS CAUSED BY TICKS and i have taken some off her one in particular on her chin which was rather swolen, please reply as i am VERY WORRIED about her as the vet is talking about putting her to sleep can you please help me find out what this is what she has got yours sincerly stephen  she has also got symptoms  feaver, loss of appetite, wieght loss,  muscle,enlarged lymph nodes  pain stifness, coughing,

Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning Stephen and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about Crystals condtion....I know this is frightening for you, Steohen and for sweet Crystal.

These symptoms that have come on so suddenly do not sound like ERhlichia although it is easy to test for and I believe that your vet, if being thorough, has already tested Crystal for this.

I would be very concerned about a possible Lymphoma and the only way to know for sure is to biopsy this enlarged node. It may be that infection has caused this node to enlarge but if other nodes are enlarged, this could be the problem. It will cause anorexia and depression. It sounds like Crystals blood is becoming anemic and an autoimmune disease, that could be associated with an ERhlichia infection, could be causing these signs. This is treated with Doxycycline along with steroids and a strong immunosuppressive medication such as Cyclosporine. During this period of treatment, supportive care with anti nausea medication and Pedialyte given every 4 hrs and Nutrical given every 4 hrs. This is a high calorie supplement available at the pet store to give sweet Crystal the nutrients she needs to get past this.

I guess what I ma sayng, Steohen, is that there has not been enough diagnostics to find the cause for Crystals condition.....speak to your vet about pursuing biopsy as well as other testing.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****