Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Good evening. A female budgerigar in our aviary in our garden

Customer Question

Good evening. A female budgerigar in our aviary in our garden looks as if she's egg-bound, what can we do? or what can a vet do please?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.

Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. In many cases simply placing an egg bound bird in a 32C environment will suffice to pass the egg. If the egg doesn't pass within 24 hours, alternative therapies include injecting a calcium solution intramuscularly and gently lubricating the inside of the cloaca with a cotton-tipped swab impregnated (terrible use of words...) with a water soluble gel (K-Y gel, e.g.) or lubricating the cloaca and also gently collapsing the egg by withdrawing the contents with a needle and syringe and then manually extracting it. Collapsing the egg should only be done if the egg is already in the cloaca and, preferably, visible. These therapies are best performed by an avian-oriented vet.

If Mum is straining, however, for more than 3 hours, vascular compromise is likely and life-threatening. An ER vet would be indicated although I understand that it's best to approach this disorder with a clear sense of the bird's financial value to your operation.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Aloha Dr. Michael, thanks for your reply. However not understanding words such as cloaca, makes understanding impossible for a lay-person such as myself! We can bring her in as we have an indoor aviary which housed the birds over last winter. Otherwise we are very reluctant to do anything that might damage her internally ourselves.

I understand. I should have defined the cloaca as the following: In zoological anatomy, a cloaca is the posterior opening that serves as the only opening for the intestinal, reproductive, and urinary tracts of certain animal species. All amphibians, birds, reptiles, and monotremes possess this orifice, from which they excrete both urine and feces, unlike most placental mammals, which possess two or three separate orifices for evacuation.

May I have an update on Mum, please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No change at the moment. She is out of her nest-box and surrounded by her mate and offspring, feathers are fluffed up, but perhaps that is the change in the weather.

Thank you for the update. Keep me posted, please.