Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

my jack is very agitated the the base of his back near tail

my jack is very agitated the the base of his back near tail and when you go down his back with your hand it sways up his spine and head is hot and hes gone snappy
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Are you seeing any abnormality in the skin like redness, flaky, crusty, etc.?
3- Any pre existing medical conditions?
4- Is he on any medications?
5- How much does he weigh?
6- Any other symptoms?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

2 month

no

no

no

10kg

no

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- So basically he arches the back when you touch the lumbar area, correct?
2- Does he ever react when you don't touch his back?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no it dose not arch more of wave all the way up,

not realy.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
It is fair to say that this never happened before?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Lesley, some dogs will have a normal response of swaying their back when touched along the spine, this does not mean there is a problem. However, if he is displaying signs of discomfort by snapping at you it could be he is uncomfortable as a result of things like: Arthritis of the spine or hips, a pinched nerve (intervertebral disc disease), etc. to name a few causes.
To determine if there is anything wrong with his hips or spine the first place to start would be a hands on examination by family veterinarian and xrays as initial screening test. In the meantime you can start him on a supplement called Glucosamine 150mg a day long term. You can buy glucosamine over the counter in any pet store.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, I am happy to address follow-up questions. P
lease do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter