Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My 9 year old working springer spaniel has developed swollen

My 9 year old working springer spaniel has developed swollen eyes after a day in the field. This began last year and only happens during the working season. Could he have developed an allergy? I wash his eyes out with warm water. But the reaction usually last a couple of days/a week. But returns when he is out working again the following week. any advice?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Are the eyes bulging out or you are seeing swelling around the eyelids?
2- How much does he weigh?
3- Is he currently on any medications?
4- Do you have any anti histamines? If so, what is the name and milligrams?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is swelling around the inner eyelid and they are half closed. There is some discharge.
He is around 15kg. He is not overweight
He has spot on flea treatment all year.
We do not have any antihistamines for him at present.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Friend, it sounds like he may be suffering from seasonal allergies as you have suspected. I would start him on Chlorpheniramine 4mg every 8 hours, you can buy Chlorpheniramine over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist). Follow up with family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, I am happy to address follow-up questions. P
lease do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Would you advise doing this for the whole season or only when the flare up occur?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Once the swelling goes away you can stop the chlorpheniramine. If it re-occurs I would keep him on it for the whole season.

You're welcome.

Please reply if you have additional questions.

Dr. Peter