Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

hi my mum has got a Senegal parrot which used to belong to

Customer Question

hi my mum has got a Senegal parrot which used to belong to my grandad, so we think it is about 20 years old. however we were of the impression that the bird was male but tonight it has layed an egg in the bottom of the cage for the first time ever which has baffled us slightly could you shed some light on this please
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry for the delay in responding to you. Joey is a female. The egg is sterile unless a male Senegal cohabitates with her. It's important that Joey be eating a wide variety of food - particularly calcium rich foods such as dairy products and fresh greens. Pelleted rations (see here: http://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/) are particularly good because they're already balanced. I'd like to see an avian vitamin supplement placed in Joey's water as well. She needs vitamin D3 to absorb the calcium needed to produce eggs. There might be more coming!

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.