Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

Hi I have a 14 yr old dalmation,she was limping this morning,I

Hi I have a 14 yr old dalmation,she was limping this morning,I thought she was just a bit stiff,I took her down the beach for our morning walk but after 5 minutes she was really limping badly. I checked yo make sure she funding have anything stuck in it as she kept licking it.i took her back home and put her on the sofa.when I came back from work this evening she wouldn't put any weight on it and it looks as though she has been licking it constantly.i carried her outside to go to the toilet and gave her her dinner and a drink and put her back on the sofa.she has slept all evening but two of her digits have really swollen up......will she be ok until the morning or should I get her to a vet now?
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Susan :

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

Dr. Susan :

I wonder if she had some type of trauma that we are unaware of to have the swelling progress so quickly.

Dr. Susan :

Another possibility would be an insect bite or sting.

Dr. Susan :

When you are back online, please post her weight for me.

Dr. Susan :

We can try a dose of antihistamine as well as some pain medication for her.

Dr. Susan :

I do not think this is an emergency, I think you can wait until morning to have her evaluated at your local vet.

Customer: Hi she is approx 22k....she had a stroke 2 months ago but has recovered almost totally,just a little unsteady on her feet sometimes
Dr. Susan :

Great. You can try 50 mg diphenhydramine OR 10mg loratadine OR 10 mg cetirizine for the antihistamine.

Dr. Susan :

For pain, you can give 250mg acetaminophen every 12 hours for pain.