Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Hi,i need some advice my dog has got a rash around his mouth

Customer Question

Hi,i need some advice my dog has got a rash around his mouth just on one side it is black and a red colour he keeps rubing his month on anything he can rub against I cannot take him to a vet as He will not let anyone treat him because of trust it took a long time for him to trust me I need advice so i can buy the right medication for my dog please advice me but I did find in my back garden a chew up slug do you think he has caught something from the slug he chewed please advice me as i am worried for my dog and friend I look forward to a reply thanks Colin.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
Colin, can you upload a photo of that rash to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

How old is your dog please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi I just uploaded two photos and sorry i do not have a clue how old my dog is as he was a trouble dog I got from my x-wife as she got the dog from a friend of a friend I did ask her but she went round the persons house she got dog from but they had moved before I could get a age of the dog but he still looks young around his head bum bluff sort of look soryy hope this helps.a photo

Thank you for the photos! A young dog with such a skin lesion is likely to suffer from localized juvenile demodectic mange - a mite called Demodex. It's not contagious and it most often disappears untreated within 8-12 weeks. You might see other patches of hair loss appear before all the patches finally disappear. In some cases, this "quiet" form of mange can become infected and generalized over his skin and this form requires intensive therapy directed by a veterinarian.

Most of these patients' conditions will be resolved with infection control - you can rub an over the counter antibacterial cream such as Polysporin or generics into the area thrice daily - and topical shampoo therapy using a 1-3% benzoyl peroxide shampoo every 3-7 days. You should be able to find such a shampoo over the counter in pet/agricultural merchant stores. Topical creams and ointments don't demonstrate any additional benefit when compared with shampoo therapy alone.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi thank you for your reply there is no way my dog will let me or anyone shampoo him is there any tablets i can get for my dog if your right I am not sure how as my house and my dog are look after very good (demodectic mange) but can it be some sort of worms as I have heard a dog can get ill if chewed on garden slugs or as he been infected by a dead bird I found in my garden about 3 weeks ago I jsut want to get mediction for my dog dont want him to suffer please advice thank you!!!

No, there aren't any tablets of value nor is it likely that you would need to give systemic treatment for this condition. Dogs are born with Demodex mites on their skin. The immune system of young dogs isn't strong enough to fight off the mites in some cases. (People carry Demodex mites in their eyebrows and eyelashes!)

If he won't let you treat him, let the tincture of time take care of him. As I mentioned, the great majority of young dogs normalize within 8-12 weeks unaided. His skin isn't related to slugs or dead birds.

You're quite welcome.