Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Thirty years experience in small animal medicine and surgery.
56364752

Hi, I have an 18 month old Shiztu/bishon cross.She is a rescue

Customer Question

Hi, I have an 18 month old Shiztu/bishon cross.She is a rescue dog and we have had her for a year, she has always eaten grass but occasionally over the last week and drastically over the last few days she has been vomiting foamy bile. I have phoned the vets and they said to starve her for 24 hrs but reading your and other articles they say to feed little and often. I'm a bit confused! She has always been a fussy eater sometimes not eating for a couple of days. Should I try her on some chicken? Little and often if she'll eat it. Many thanks for your help,
Katie
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Barbara :

Hi Katie, Welcome to JustAnswer. I am a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to you. The goal is to get your little girl's stomach healed. Both suggestions are valid, but which is best for your dog remains to be seen.

Dr. Barbara :

A bland food diet fed often in small amounts my work, so I'd try that first.

Dr. Barbara :

A bland food diet can be made with 50% boiled white rice and 50% cooked skinless chicken. Feed this at about 10ml every 2 hours to see if this stimulates any vomiting. Also, please note that a bland food diet does not include grass, so your little girl should be outdoors only with you.

JACUSTOMER-ky9084rg- : Thank you for being so prompt in replying I don't want to sound silly but what would you class as bland for her she's so difficult to feed not eating for days then eats a lot she was kept in a shed for the first 7 months of her life and is still terrified of men and footsteps
Dr. Barbara :

Thanks for your response! Remember that the only silly question is the one that isn't asked!

Dr. Barbara :

The chicken and rice at 50/50 is a bland diet. You could also use chicken baby food. cooked ground sirloin, or low fat cottage cheese.

Dr. Barbara :

Poor little girl! I'm so glad that you rescued her!

JACUSTOMER-ky9084rg- : I've just been away for a few days. Half term to see grandchildren Aggie has been staying with my other son and his 2 dogs could this have stressed her and made this bile problem worse? Thank-you for your kind words. She was in a bad way she had been kept for breeding until her first season then not kept because she has an undershot jaw - looks like a little gruffallo! We also think she is somewhat deaf a she had never been groomed and the hair in her ears had turned into solid plugs, some people should never have contact with animals!
Dr. Barbara :

That's for sure! Your being away and Aggie staying with your other son could have definitely been more stressful her and increased her vomiting. On the other hand, the more exposure she has to kind men will help her over her fear of men. . .replacing a good experience with the bad memories she has.

Dr. Barbara :

Does Aggie also have diarrhea?

JACUSTOMER-ky9084rg- : I'm sorry my partner took her over the fields this morning so I' m afraid I don't know. She did snap at me the day before yesterday as I tried to groom her tummy area she's never ever snapped before so I presume she's quite sore
Dr. Barbara :

Many little dogs will snap when frightened, and having her tummy groomed is probably something that is new to her. She really does need to have these things that frighten her to be repeated often (every day if possible), but you may have to get a small muzzle to protect yourself at first. Just start slowly, introducing any actions you desire very slowly and in small increments. For example. . .just touching her tummy, and when she allows this give her praise and a little treat. This takes quite a bit of time, but is worth it.

JACUSTOMER-ky9084rg- : Thank-you so much Dr. Barbara you have been very kind and extremely reassuring and helpful. Just off to buy some chicken!
Dr. Barbara :

Regarding her vomiting, try the bland diet in small amounts and frequently, also limiting her water intake to small amounts and frequently. Make sure she doesn't eat any grass or other foreign objects, as this is irritating also. If she won't eat, then withholding food for 24 hours to rest her tummy, is the next step. Offer her water in small but frequent amounts. If she vomits again with eating and/or drinking, then she does need to be seen to diagnose her.

JACUSTOMER-ky9084rg- : with all best wishes, Katie
Dr. Barbara :

You are welcome, Katie. Best of luck to you and Aggie!

Experience: Thirty years experience in small animal medicine and surgery.
Katie,
Thank you so much for your very kind rating. . .greatly appreciated!!!
I'd like to check in with you in a few days to see how Aggie is doing. There's no more charge for this. Also, this thread will stay open for a few days, so feel free to contact me again if needed.
Warm regards,
Dr. Barbara