Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 18 years experience.
13866827

My cockerspaniel puppy of 9mths ran (her forehead) into to

Customer Question

My cockerspaniel puppy of 9mths ran (her forehead) into to my elbow whilst we were playing. She has been subdued ( however friendly) since this incident and I worry that she is in pain or at the very least, has a sore head /headache. Would like to know what type of pain relief I can safely use. Hoping to make her a little more comfortable. It was quite a blow (my elbow hurt on impact).
Worried owner.
Expert:  Dr. Scarlett replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Scarlett :

Dr. Scarlett :

Poor little Daisy! (and you!) When did the accident happen? How much does Daisy weigh? Is she currently taking any other medication?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Daisy is approx 12.5 kg and taking no meds.
She has by the looks of things had complete recovery but sure it was at the time an uncomfortable blow to the head.
I would like to know for future reference what could I use safely use to reduce pain like this. I would always take her to the vet in any urgent situation but the information could help if out of hours or I felt she had caused herself discomfort etc.
kind regards, Danielle.
In a pinch, if Daisy seems painful and you can't get her into a vet that day, you could give her 1-2 low-dose aspirin (the 81 mg size) every 12 hours. Give with some food, to help protect her stomach, and be sure to tell your vet you gave it if you end up needing to take her in. Starting aspirin may mean your vet won't prescribe certain other pain medications, if Daisy needs to be on something.