Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I have a small clown parrot, with puffed eye's can you help

Customer Question

I have a small clown parrot, with puffed eye's can you help me with this problem?.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I'm not certain what "puffed" eyes implies but if you're referring to a conjunctivitis, my primary concern is respiratory infection which usually involves the sinuses of birds such as Peggy as well as the eyes. If I'm correct, a broad spectrum antibiotic such as enrofloxacin is indicated with which you would dose Peggy directly into her beak twice daily for a minimum of 10 days. An avian-oriented vet (please see here: bvpa.org.uk) is highly recommended.

Antibiotics placed in her drinking water won't suffice. Ill birds don't drink enough water for the antibiotic to reach adequate tissue levels .

Can you tell me, please, what Peggy's diet has consisted of and whether or not you've been supplementing Peggy with vitamins and minerals or other supplements? Can you upload a photo of Peggy's eyes to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.