Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years with dogs, cats, exotic, wildlife and zoo animals, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

my parrot has coccidiosis like symtoms she has her head to

my parrot has coccidiosis like symtoms she has her head to one side plz help.
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 years ago.
Hello!
Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.
What specific symptoms of coccidiosis are you seeing or are you just referring to the head tilt?
Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

when she flys she falls with no control head tillted

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the information. What you are describing is indeed vertigo! This problem usually occurs due to irritation of the balance nerve in the head due to stroke, trauma, virus, or no discoverable reason at all, in older literature this is often attributed to giardia or coccidia but is rarely the case. Birds who are dizzy will often tilt/twist/or lean their head off to the side, other birds will have significant balance problems and fall or lean on objects and not move much. Because of the significant dizziness some birds will stop eating and this is a big problem. What you need to do right now is to take out the perches and put a blanket or towel on the bottom of the cage to provide good footing and a safe place in case she starts falling. Bring the food and water bowl down to the floor as well so there is minimal difficulty getting to the bowl while she’s feeling dizzy. If she stops eating she needs to be seen by the vet as soon as possible to avoid liver problems that come on with not eating. Most of the time this problem does resolve on it’s own but it’s best to have the vet look her over to see if there is anything that can be done to speed along the recovery.
I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions.
Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

am giving her baytril 2.5 will it help or shall i give it somthing elce

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 years ago.
Most of the time you don't need to give anything at all, about 9/10 cases there is no infectious cause and just simple patience and the passage of time will take care of the problem.
I am not a big fan of baytril so I would stop it at this point unless there is a proven infection.
It's hard not do give something but usually that is the best course if eating and drinking.
Dr. Dan