Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

elderly shetland mare/oral mucus running from mouth and

Customer Question

elderly shetland mare/oral mucus running from mouth and nose /DIFFICULTY EATING AND DRINKING
Expert:  Vet replied 2 years ago.
Vet : Hi there, vet Andrew here. I have just come online and seen you question has not yet been answered. Please respond to this post and I will be notified.
JACUSTOMER-9r6u49in- :

horse is now dead had to get avet out

JACUSTOMER-9r6u49in- :

FIONA

Vet : I'm very sorry to hear that. From Holly's age and symptoms it sounds like there was nothing you or I could have done to help. All the best, ***** *****
JACUSTOMER-9r6u49in- :

When I eventually managed to get a vet he said it was choke and she was too far gone. If he had seen her sooner he might have been

JACUSTOMER-9r6u49in- :

able to do something.He was most unpleasant and left me thinking it was my fault he had to put he to sleep.

JACUSTOMER-9r6u49in- :

As a 72yr old who suffers from clinical depression you can imagine how I am feeling.

JACUSTOMER-9r6u49in- :

Fiona

Vet : We are speaking after the fact, but my experience with choke falls into two categories:
Vet : 1. Young fit thoroughbred with bolts its food and has pretty much resolved the problem before I get there.
Vet : *which bolts its food*
Vet : 2. Older horse which gets a horrible obstruction that recurs every few months, each time worse than the last.
Vet : I'm sorry the vet was not nice to you, but as you can see Holly's choke would fall into the latter cateory. Your vet may have been able to clear the choke this time but it would have happened again. It's very uncomfortable, even painful and it would have kept happening. Each time you would have had a debate with the vet about whether it's time to put her to sleep, and each time you'd get the obstruction clear and wonder when it's going to happen again.
Vet : So please don't feel bad. At Holly's age chokes are never straightforward and I would deem it a mercy that she only had to suffer it once.
Vet : My thoughts are with you, and I wish you all the best. Vet Andrew.