Vet
Vet, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have spent many years in mixed practice, dealing with all the major species.
76153631

My Lhasa Apso just started breathing very heavily almost like

Customer Question

My Lhasa Apso just started breathing very heavily almost like a cough but had his mouth closed - his chest was expanding in and out very fast
Almost like he was struggling to get breath
He is 2 years old
Expert:  Vet replied 3 years ago.
Vet : Hi there, vet Andrew here.
Vet : You are describing something called 'reverse sneezing' which is quite common in small dogs, especially those with short faces.
Vet : There are many possible causes. What you should know is that he is not struggling for air, and will be ok.
Vet : one of the most common causes is upper airway syndrome, where the nostrils, soft palate, or vocal cords cause a slight obstruction to the airway and the dog makes attempts to clear it. It is related to the shape of the face and is curable with surgery.
Vet : another possibililty is the dog version of hay fever. This is triggered by something in the air and causes the nasal membranes to swell, and again the dog feels this and tries to clear it.
Vet : Because there are so many causes, I recommend you keep a close eye on when Marshall has the episodes, if the problem occurs again. Note down what he was doing just before the attack, such as after exercise, feeding, or going in a certain room of the house, and other reasons why it migt have happened. It sometimes turns put to be related to when you vacuum the house - the dust triggers the reaction.
Vet : If you can't identify what is causing it, take him to your vet for an assessment, together with any information you have about possible triggers.
Vet : in some cases, no triggers can be identified and there are no abnormalities on examination. In this case, as long as the attacks are not too frequent or vigorous, you can safely ignore them. If they become a problem, treatment with antihistamines or steroid can help.
Vet : I hope his has been of help. Do you have any questions?
JACUSTOMER-d1vgzisv- : Thank you for your answer
JACUSTOMER-d1vgzisv- : Thank you for your answer and will have him checked out tomorrow at the vets
Vet : No problem. My own dog, a springer spaniel, occasionally does this and it is related to when he snuffles around a dusty shed or has been in mature grass. He gets over the episodes fairly quickly and is not under treatment.
JACUSTOMER-d1vgzisv- : Thank you so much and will have him checked out tomorrow kind regards
Expert:  Vet replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your kind rating. You can let me know how you get on tomorrow and post follow- up questions free of charge via this thread. Regards, ***** *****