Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Hi,my 11month old spaniel has cut her pad on her front paw.

Hi,my 11month old spaniel has cut her pad on her front paw. There is no blood but the paw is very pink.should I just bath it and let it heal naturally or does she need treatment?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How deep is wound?

Does it appear to go through the thick/leathery part of the pad into the delicate underlying muscle layer?

If possible, could you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, I am happy to have a look (since it will let me see what you are seeing). To post them, you can either use the wee paper clip on the tool bar. Or you can post them on a 3rd party site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web address here.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes it does seem to have cut through the leathery pad.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you June,

If the wound appears to go through the pad completely, then this unfortunately will be a wound that likely needs to be stitched. The reason is because we cannot ask dogs to keep off wounded feet and often the pressure of walking on these wounds pulls the wound edges away from one another, prevents the wound edges from laying in appoisition and thwarts healing. Furthermore, a deep wound of this nature would be at high risk of secondary bacterial infection (from the original cutting item but also from anything that now comes in contact with that wound.

With this in mind, since its not actively bleeding, the best course of action would be first aid for tonight with a view to having the foot evaluated by her vet tomorrow (and as many clinics in the UK are now offering Sunday hours, we may be able to get around emergency fees for Bonnie).

In regards ***** ***** aid, the first step is to flush the wound with a mild antiseptic (ie diluted betadine, chlorohexidine, or salt water --1tbsp salt to pint warm water). Once it has been cleansed, we'd want to gently but thoroughly dry the foot before applying a foot bandage. (To apply the bandage, you can watch a video HERE) .This will keep the wound clean, hold the wound edges together temporarily, and keep Bonnie from licking it until you can follow up with her vet for a wound check (for antibiotics +/- stitching) first thing tomorrow morning. If you do not have the materials to bandage her foot, you can put a baby sock on her foot (as a breathable "bandage") but she may need close monitoring or a buster collar to prevent her from removing it. And just so that she is able to have this addressed as soon as possible by her vet, you can consider withholding food after tonight's dinner (water can stay down) until she is seen tomorrow. That way if she has an emtpy stomach, they won't need to delay sedation to stitch this for her.

Overall, if this is a full thickness pad wound then it will likely need to be stitched and antibiotics would be indicated to prevent deep infection. Therefore, for tonight, we'd want to cleanse the wound and apply a bandage to keep her from causing further harm or risk of infection. And if we withhold food at this point, we can get her ready if her vet does confirm this needs to be closed surgically to ensure healing.

Finally, just to note if you don't have a vet you can find one local to you to ring tomorrow morning, you can check the RCVS Register (HERE) to find your local vets or Vets Now (LINK) who are open all nights/weekends.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )