Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My almost 2 year old CKCS is limping this morning - no obvious

Customer Question

My almost 2 year old CKCS is limping this morning - no obvious pain anywhere. Does he need to see a vet today?
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.
Scott Nimmo :

My name is ***** ***** I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today.

Scott Nimmo :

If your King Charles is not showing any other symptoms and is otherwise quite happy and healthy then in almost all cases this would not be a pressing matter and he would be fine to wait for a regular hours consult.

JACUSTOMER-aer8zxr8- :

Ok - is there any human medication I could give him to help if he has some joint inflammation or mild discomfort?

Scott Nimmo :

The best thing to do in the meantime is just to keep him rested and still, it could be that you are just dealing with a simple strain or sprain, these can often resolve on their own

JACUSTOMER-aer8zxr8- :

He can be quite boisterous - so keeping him rested and still can be challenging! We also have another CKCS which will be walked later - should I bring him if he wants to come ?

Scott Nimmo :

In terms of human over the counter pain meds you only have one reasonably safe option... Aspirin. Please stand by and I will give you some more info...

Scott Nimmo :

On a short term home remedy aspirin would be much safer and more effective than the other over the counter human pain killers and aspirin is sometimes prescribed for dogs. A typical dose rate would be 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight twice daily. The judgment whether to dose with aspirin is of course up to you but here is a link to an accurate web page with all the facts you might need including contraindications : LINK

Scott Nimmo :

Where dogs are limping it would be best to avoid exercise until you know what you are dealing with, I know he will want to go along!

JACUSTOMER-aer8zxr8- :

If he wants to come on the twice daily walk - is it ok to do this?

JACUSTOMER-aer8zxr8- :

Sorry - hadn't seen the last bit of your response!

JACUSTOMER-aer8zxr8- :

Thanks for your help

Scott Nimmo :

Just give him a short gentle walking session on his lead to do his business a few times a day and that's it I am afraid until the limping can be resolved

Scott Nimmo :

Thanks for the good rating...