Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Hi I have an almost eight month old puppy She is a jack

Hi I have an almost eight month old puppy bitch
She is a ***** ***** poodle cross
Today she has sneezed a few times
She's been very restless
Breathing funny
Running back and fourth to window
She has been shaking her head/ body as if she's wet
She will not sit still
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'd like to help with your concerns about your girl's restless behavior, sneezing, shaking her head and body and abnormal breathing pattern.
In such a young pup I would be most concerned that she is having an allergic reaction to something. That can cause her to feel itchy, especially her ears and face thus her head shaking, change her breathing pattern and make her very restless.
This is usually to an insect bite or sting. Sometimes we never figure out the cause because the bite/sting is covered up by fur and diffuse swelling.
Treatment is based upon stopping further allergic reaction with antihistamines like Benadryl and sometimes cortisone if the reaction progresses.
Does she have any evidence of facial swelling?
Are her gums and tongue a nice bubble gum pink or are they gray/very pale pink?
Any pawing at her face or ears?
Any gagging?
No vomiting or diarrhea?
You can give her Benadryl (diphenhydramine only don't use the combination products with decongestants or acetaminophen as they can be toxic for dogs) at 2mg to 4mg per kilogram or one half of a 25mg capsule per 3 to 6 kilograms of body weight orally every 8 hours. You'll need to give it for at least 72 hours (3 days) to allow the allergen time to clear. If you stop too soon the reaction will recur.
Dogs take a really high dose of Benadryl compared to people, so don't let the amount worry you. They require more than we do. This may make her a little sleepy.
And then you'll need to watch her closely for any progression of symptoms. That includes difficulty breathing such that she is open mouth breathing, vomiting or diarrhea, poor gum and tongue color (gray, very pale pink versus the normal bubblegum pink).
Her symptoms resolve slowly over the next 12 to 24 hours.
In extreme allergic reactions they can get shocky and collapse but you should see open mouth breathing and vomiting/diarrhea first. Severe reactions are very rare. Most reactions are managed just fine with antihistamines alone.
Because you know now that she has these types of reactions you should keep Benadryl on hand at all times.
If you notice progression of her symptoms don't wait, have her checked by emergency.
If you 'd like you can have a veterinarian check her now. They can give a cortisone injection which will lessen symptoms faster.
But if she seems to be doing well then I would just call her regular veterinarian and let them know so it is on her record for future reference.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She is pacing lots and going to the window all the time very restless
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
I suspect that is because she doesn't understand what is going on and is trying to get away from whatever is bothering her. When dogs are stressed they have the "fight or flight" reaction, meaning they either try to attack what is scaring them or run away from it. She is trying to escape.
Certainly if she isn't settling down with giving her an antihistamine, her color becomes poor or she starts open mouth breathing and/or has severe facial swelling then an emergency visit is indicated.