Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My friend's 10 week old cairn/westie has a double inquinal

My friend's 10 week old cairn/westie has a double inquinal hernia (or does she mean"internal") and has to have an operation. Can you tell me how serious this is and what it entails. She just received the pup a few days ago from a reputable breeder.
James Kean *****
Prestwick
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, James. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

I suspect that your friend did mean "inguinal," as this is a type of hernia. The inguinal region is the area where the dog's back legs meet their belly (or the groin region). To have a double inguinal hernia means that this pup has muscle defects on both sides or by both legs. You can see a picture of a severe inguinal hernia -- HERE.

Now in regards ***** ***** serious this is, it depends completely on how big the muscle deficit is. The reason size matters is because this is essentially a hole in the muscle wall that encases the abdominal organs. This means that if there is a big hole, organs like the bladder or intestines may fall through the hole and get stuck or twisted between the muscle layer and the the inside of the skin layer. And this is a problem because if organs get trapped, their circulation can get cut off resulting in serious damage or tissue death for those organs. So, in these cases if we have a significant hernia, then we do need to surgically correct that hole to prevent this from happening. Depending on the severity, the surgery can be difficult but if they are successfully closed then the pup is cured and shouldn't have future issue with it.

Finally, since this pup is young and has no history of trauma, it is likely that he was born with defect. Therefore, I would note that if the hernias are severe enough to warrant surgery; your friend may want to see if the breeder will pay for this to be corrected for him at her or their vets.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )