Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

Hi there, my cat keeps squatting as if to have a pee and just

Hi there, my cat keeps squatting as if to have a pee and just stares ahead, but nothing happens. Plus she peed in a Tesco`s bag which she has never done before, and never has been caught short in the house. She is 6.5 years old. Can you tell me what it might be please. Many thanks Ash.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is she going frequently to the litter box?
2- How long has this been going on?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Dr peter

Tonight she has been trying to go for about 3 hours, she keeps moving from one spot to another with only a few dribbles each time. She is not herself , like she feels sorry for herself. And has not eaten properly for a couple of weeks now.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Ashley, the history and symptoms you are describing are consistent with a urinary tract infection. You see, the increase in frequency or trying to urinate is because she has an infection that is causing irritation (inflammation) of the urethra (tube connecting bladder to vagina). When the urethra is inflamed it gives the feeling of having to urinate, this is why she is going more frequent; the increase in frequency does not allow the bladder to accumulate enough urine and only produces a small amount of urine every attempt. Other possible causes could be bladder stones, cystitis (inflammation), etc. She will need to be seen by your family veterinarian to rule out bladder stones and start her on oral antibiotics. In the meantime, offer her plenty of water; the flushing action of water helps with inflammation and infections.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi I have just laid her on her back and felt between her back legs and just felt a huge ball like lump there, when I touched it she cried out. Is this still what you think it is?

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Ashley, I have to ask this just in case, is your cat a female?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes, but she has been newted

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
In female cats very seldom will they have a urinary blockage, this is something normally seen in male cats. But, it is possible that she may have a stone blocking the outflow of urine and what you are feeling as a large ball is the bladder full of urine. I am going to change my initial advise and recommend you have her checked tonight by ER veterinarian. You see, if this is her bladder that you are feeling and it is full of urine she can go into kidney failure, rupture or suffer irreversible damage. For this reason I would have her checked tonight.

Please reply if you have additional questions.

Dr. Peter