Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My cocker spaniel is trying to open his bowels this evening,

My cocker spaniel is trying to open his bowels this evening, keep running around , sniffing and not able to distract him. He opened his bowels 2 times today that looked normal but this morning he vomited smelling of feaces. He lso vomited the same 3 days ago, bu has been eating normal including today and open his bowels 3 or more times a day. His tummy is not distended but mild discomfort when pressed low. What do I need to do?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did he have diarrhea?
2- Is he straining to defecate?
3- Did he get into anything?
4- Any blood in the stool?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No diarrhea today or yesterday. He had diarrhea last week twice
He is straining I think but not yelping or making any sound just running in circles, sniffing
He does get into things but not anything specific that I saw
No blood
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
To make sure I got this right, he is going around sniffing the floor but he is not squatting to defecate, correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No he is not squatting . He last opened his bowels around 3pm today
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
What are you seeing that is indicating that he is trying to have a bowel movement?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He is now sleeping in his cage but 30 minutes ago when we took him outside he could not stop sniffing , wouldnt play and wouldnt come in. He occasionally seem like he was about to squat but then ran off again all over the 1 acre plot sniffing. This is not his usual behaviour
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- How much does he weigh?
2- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am not sure of his exact weight but under 10 kg, possibly around 8
The children gave him pieces of banana occasionally, not sure if this can cause problems
I didnt see him eat something tht could cause an obstruction per say
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Yvette, it is possible that he was going around in circles as a sign of gastrointestinal discomfort. The fact that he vomited earlier today further supports the possibility of gastrointestinal discomfort. In a puppy common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, parasites, etc. to name a few causes. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium.
2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.
3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.
4- If he continues to vomit or going around in circles after doing the above he will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter