Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

returned to uk with 2 neutered cats,female spayed 18months

Customer Question

returned to uk with 2 neutered cats,female spayed 18months ago,she is showing signs
of being in season,calling, rolling,attracting other cats, can she get pregnant she is
approx 4.1/2years
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
If your "neutered" female is showing signs of estrus (heat), her spay didn't consist of the thorough removal of all ovarian tissue. This is called the ovarian remnant syndrome and until all ovarian tissue is removed, she'll continue to cycle as if she were an intact female.

To answer your question directly, if her uterus were removed when "spayed", she can't become pregnant regardless of her ovarian status. Searching for an ovarian remnant is best done just after estrus is done (diestrus) or when my patient has been induced to ovulate.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Dr Salkin,

sorry to ask question again, can she get pregnant, the operation was

carried out in france, believe it was called ovariectomie..

regards.brenda agnew

Thank you for the additional information, Brenda. An ovariectomy describes the removal of the ovaries but not the uterus. Because she's coming back into heat, however, ovarian tissue remains and so eggs are still produced and her uterus can support a pregnancy.

Please don't hesitate to have me clarify anything you need me to clarify further.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a few weeks for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.