How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Drew Your Own Question
Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Category: Vet
Satisfied Customers: 16846
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741
Type Your Vet Question Here...
Dr. Drew is online now

I have just been told that my dog has a mass on his liver.

Resolved Question:

I have just been told that my dog has a mass on his liver. In August he had pancreatitis and has been on a special diet since - he also had a urine infection at this time. This helped but he has lost 5 kilos recently - he weighs 25 kilos now - a dalmatian - over 12 years. He is not eating and is being sick now. I took him to the Vet 2 days ago and got the news after bloods & an ultra sound - should i give ok to operate or will this cause more suffering? Will he be in a lot of pain as I think he is ‘masking’ this?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Vet
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Drew :

Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Dr. Drew :

Unfortunately, at the age of 12+ years, the most likely explanation is that the liver mass will be cancerous,

Dr. Drew :

and therefore surgical intervention may not necessarily cure the problem.

Dr. Drew :

The only way I'd suggest going forward with surgery, would be if the chest has been x-rayed and found to be clear of visible cancer spread (metastasis),

Dr. Drew :

and if the ultrasound showed that the tumor appears to be fully removeable,

Dr. Drew :

otherwise, I would not recommend further treatment in this case, and humane euthanasia may be the kindest option.

Customer:

Is this better done as soon as possible. I only got the news yesterday so it is a bit of a shock but I do not want my dog to be suffering. My vet suggested an answer by tomorrow.

Dr. Drew :

there's really not much reason to delay longer than necessary -- it is unlikely that the situation will improve without aggressive care at this point,

Dr. Drew :

but waiting a few hours until your veterinary clinic opens up is likely to be acceptable, as long as he's not too uncomfortable.

Customer:

Thank you

Dr. Drew :

you are very welcome -- I know this is a difficult time, my thoughts are with you.

Dr. Drew and 2 other Vet Specialists are ready to help you

Related Vet Questions