Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I have 2 cats (brothers) and they are 7 yrs old. They were

Customer Question

I have 2 cats (brothers) and they are 7 yrs old. They were both neutered as kittens. One of them keeps spraying in the house. He seems to get stressed. What can I do to stop him spraying?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee ones today.

How long has Jazz been spraying in the house?

Do you know what is triggering his stress?

(ie new people, furniture, house, new neighborhood cats, babies, renovations, noise,etc)?

Where in the house does he spray?

How many litter boxes do you have?

Open or covered ones? Where are they located?

Does he use any of them?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Dr. B,

Thank you in anticipation for your help.

Jazz has been spraying on and off for about 4 years. He has gone for long periods without doing it but seems to be having a bad patch at the moment.

He started spraying at my previous address about 4 years ago and although he stopped for quite some time and didn't do it when we first moved to this house 18 months ago, he has started doing it again He is quite consistent as to the areas he does it for example at the bottom of the stairs in the hallway - usually against my coat. Also in the kitchen against the cupboards and has also (usually during the night) against the microwave on the kitchen surface. Obviously I have to disinfect heavily when this occurs!

He craves my attention occasionally and does not really like his brother, though they do not fight all the time and he seems to tolerate him. He is quite nervous of sudden movement and loud noises though these are rare as I live alone and I am a very calm person. He is a little nervous of visitors but I don't have many visitors, so this does not tie in with any of his spraying.

They have a cat flap and always go outside to do their business. He likes to sleep on any of my clothing which I may leave on a chair. I think he misses me when I am not home.

I hope this information helps.

Regards,

Anne

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hi Anne,

I have reviewed your further information but do have a few more questions:

Is this cat flap one that could potentially let any cat in?

Or is it collar fob or microchip coded so just our two resident cats can get in?

Where is it in the house relative to the kitchen and the base of the stairs?

Would you say that he is targeting the coat (since it will smell of outside and thus scary world) as opposed to hitting it just because it is there?

Have you ever seen him actually spray in the kitchen?

What are you using to disinfect?

Speak to you soon,
Dr. B.