Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My 5month old lab X Lurcher puppy has recently developed horrible

My 5month old lab X Lurcher puppy has recently developed horrible breath, is itching a lot and has what looks like dandruff on his coat. Wondering what could be wrong?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How often are you bathing him?
2- What are you feeding him?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've bathed him only a few times when he got dirty and normally just clean him off with water. He is on James well beloved puppy currently but was on wainrights before.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- Is he losing hair?
2- Does the flaky skin slough off with hair?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He does seem to be losing hair but it doesn't come off in clumps or anything to the eye it looks like dandruff.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Jade, it sounds like his coat is very dry and for this reason he has been itching and has dandruff. I would recommend you bath him with an oatmeal base shampoo 1-2 times a week for a couple of weeks than once every 21 days. Supplement with omega-3 fatty acids, you can buy this over the counter in any pet store.
As far as his breath, this is not related to the coat. The bad breath is usually secondary to the bacterias in the oral cavity and digestive tract. In older dogs with dental disease we can also see bad breath, but, that is not the case in a puppy. I would recommend you supplement with a probiotic like Fortiflora. These are friendly bacterias that form part of the gastrointestinal tract. In addition, pick up over the counter in your local pet store a mouth wash called CET (Chlorhexidine 0.12%) to rinse is mouth daily or as needed.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, I am happy to address follow-up questions. P
lease do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter