Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Hi, Ive rehomed a dog and the previous owner cant find the

Hi, Ive rehomed a dog and the previous owner cant find the paperwork for the chip and his injections. Can all this information be found out from her microchip please?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First if you need to know Clio's microchip number, so that you can change the registration data to yourself, you just need to pop Clio into your vet surgery where they can scan her chip and let you know what her number is. They will also be able to provide you with the contact details for getting the chip changed over.

Further to this, I am afraid that while a microchip will hold information on who owns the dog and their contact details, the microchip service will not keep a record of Clio's vaccinations.

If the owner cannot find the paperwork, then just request that they contact their vet. The vet will have this on record and can provide a second vaccination record for Clio. If the owner speaks to them about this, they may even be able to get the vet practice to post this directly to you. Otherwise, you can request that the owner give you their vet's contact information so that you can contact them about this. They will of course need to first give the vets permission to disclose Clio's history; but once they do that you should be able to obtain her full history and information about her vaccines.

Overall, the microchip situation just requires a wee trip to the vets for a quick microchip scan. Often the vet nurse can do this for you and help you sort that in minutes. Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** vaccinations, you will need the previous owner to ring their vet or give you the information to do so; as the vet will be the only other source of Clio's vaccine history besides the lost paperwork.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you & happy holidays! : )