Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

Good afternoon, i was hoping that you may be able to help? We

Good afternoon,
i was hoping that you may be able to help?
We have a 6 year old cat, Tom, who keeps sneezing. We wondered if this was a cold and if there was anything we could do before we went to the Vet?
Kindest regards
Ann
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question Ann. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Any nasal discharge?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

HI,

Tom has been sneezing for about 3 days, there is some nasal discharge tough not excessive. He has also been grooming excessively for about 2 months now.

Ann

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Ann, as you have suspected the sneezing could be secondary to a cold. Other possible causes are: Allergens, dust, a foreign body, etc. to name a few causes. This is what you can try:

1- Open the hot water in your bathroom and allow him to breath the vapor/steam for 5 mintues. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next day or so.
2- Start him on Chlorpheniramine 2mg every 8-12 hours. You can find Chlorpheniramine over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist).
3- If no improvement within 24 hours of doing the above I would have him examined by family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service, I am happy to address follow-up questions. P
lease do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter