Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

dog has ate a lot of christmas cake at about 8.30 pm. seems

Customer Question

dog has ate a lot of christmas cake at about 8.30 pm. seems fine now should we do anything eg induce vomiting
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.
Scott Nimmo :

My name is ***** ***** I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.

Scott Nimmo :

I guess there were lost of raisins in the cake?

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

about 500 grams maximum. dog seems fine but his stomach is rumbling

Hello again Chris and thanks for waiting.
I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think.
With Christmas cake the best thing to do is to induce vomiting because surprisingly raisins can be very toxic to dogs. One of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and recover the cake that way, If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion { Two hours at the absolute outside } then things should be fine.
In the UK your best options for inducing vomiting would be mustard and water or salt water.
{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }
I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.
Regards,
Scott