Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My dog has eaten a pill of mine paroxetine 20mg, he is a rough

Customer Question

My dog has eaten a pill of mine paroxetine 20mg, he is a rough collie, what should I do please
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Dr. B. :

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Dr. B. :

How long ago did he have this?

Dr. B. :

How much does he weigh?

Dr. B. :

Is he over 20lbs (10kg)?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He weighs about three stone, one hour since taking it

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

First it is worth noting that Paroxetine is a medication that we do use in veterinary medicine. Therefore, this is not an outright poisoning. And if he is 3 stone(19kg), this is just a 1.05 mg/kg dose which is within our normal dose range for dogs. Therefore, this is not an overdose either. So, with all of this in mind, we can all breathe a wee sigh of relief since this is not a harmful dose and adverse signs will likely be mild if we see any at all. Just to note the adverse signs that we can see with this medication, the most common include appetite loss, lethargy, agitation, wobbliness, and increased thirst. For higher doses, so less likely here, we can also see blood pressure and heart rate changes, tremors, and seizures.

In regards ***** ***** an hour post ingestion, we do have a few options. We can choose to err on the side of caution by
inducing vomiting (How to) and/or administering activated charcoal (How To). Otherwise, since this is a safe dose for a dog his size, you can choose to just take things easy today, make sure he has access to water, and let this work though his system.

Finally, since we can see GI upset and appetite loss with this medication, I would note that you will also want to consider some supportive care to settle that for him.
To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep his stomach settled.

Further to this, we can also cover him with an antacid to keep his stomach as settled as possible. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to use are Pepcid (More Info/ Dose) or Zantac (More Info/Dose). These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food (to allow absorption) and of course you want to double check with your vet if your wee one has a pre-existing condition or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall, this is a medication that we do use in dogs and this is a safe dose for his size. Therefore, we can intervene and make him vomit the tablet or bind it with charcoal, but as it is not a poisoning situation, you can just choose to monitor him and provide supportive care over the next 24-48 hours until this passes through his system.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you & happy holidays! : )