Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

Hi. I've just been away for a few days which we often do and

Customer Question

Hi. I've just been away for a few days which we often do and left my 10 year old British blue to be fed and let in twice a day by a friend. He could get out of the cat flap but couldn't get back in as he used to bring alsorts in. Rabbits, mice. You name it. When we came back on Tuesday, our friend said he hadn't seen him. A builder that was working on the stable said he'd seen him on the Sunday. I went out all night on Tuesday shouting for him. We live in a very rural area and he never really seemed to go far. The next day I found him dead I the garden. He seemed perfectly fine the last time I saw him. I am absolutely bereft. What could have happened. He was so loved and looked after. He was a bit of a bruiser but I guess that's the breed. Please help me shed some light on what's happened. He had no injuries although his nose had been bleeding. He just looked like he'd laid down to sleep. Thanks so much. Louise.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Oh Louise! I am so sorry for your loss! You must be so sad that this has happened while you were away....you have had Mister for a very long time and it does seem odd that this has happened. My concern for your sweet Mister is that there may be an anti coagulant poison that you or one of your nieghbors may have put out. I say this because there was no evidence of any trauma and the presence of blood on his nose may tell you that he may have ingested a form of rat poison that causes internal bleeding. This takes 2-5 days to take effect so it would make sense that Mister may have gotten into something like this. ASk your nieghbors,Louise....this is the only thig that could cause this sudden death.

Your vet can tell you this with a Necropsy, Louise and this might be worth it for your peace of mind.I know how terrible I would feel if this had happened to one of my kitties , Louise.

Again, I am so sorry Louise! I know how hard this can be....

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Oh god. He was poisoned by something? Would he have suffered? I was hoping to get an answer that made me feel better. That's horrendous. We do live in a rural area and they are exceptionally nosy. I thought there may be blood from his nose as a result of death? My husband said there wasn't much.
Oh sorry Louise...I did not mean to make you upset!

This type of poison is common in rural areas against rodents and is placed in tempting foods so they will eat it...this is not painful because it causes a slow internal bleed and the ideais that the rats will start to not feel good and leave the area such as a barn or house. I certainly cannot be sure, Louise, but there are notmany thigs that will cause sudden death on a perfectly healthy cat....but there are other things such as internal trauma from being hit by something that may not show on the outside. You wl only know for sure, Louise, if your vet takes a look at Mister...it may be worth it for your peace of mind. They can have a bit of blood from their nose due to trauma or head trauma....

so sorry to upset you, Louise! I know this is terrible and hard....
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He would not have suffered? I can't bear it. What would have happened if I'd have been here to see him unwell? I hate to think he was in pain. He didn't even eat food in his bowl that had been there longer than a few hours but God knows what they get up to when they're off on their travels. I'm distraught over his loss. He'd been on antibiotics for cat flu a couple of months ago. It sounds stupid but I was hoping that his heart was weakened and he'd died suddenly because of that. I Was just about coming to terms with it. I wish I hadn't have asked (no offence meant. You have only given me the answer I wished for). Totally devastating.
Oh Louise...it certainly could have been something else besides poison but we can only speculate....WE never know what underlying issues Mister may have had....Sudden death can come from heart disease or a stroke such as a Pulmonary Thromboembolism and with these, there would be no suffering...

Thank you so much, Louise, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I am so sorry to have upset you, Louise....best to keep positive thoughts and remember your precious Mister as he was...

My thoughts and prayers are with you, Louise, and your precious Mister!!

Happy Holidays!!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your reply. Mister was buried in my field soon after I found him. I guess I'll never know what happened to him. I'm going to try not to dwell on how he died as this looks like it was out of my control. The feeling of guilt I have I suppose is natural. You haven't upset me, don't worry. Your answer was professional and delivered in a gentle manner. My beautiful mister died far too soon but I'm trying to remember all of the million things he did that made me happy. I used to take him for drives because he loved being in my car and he followed me everywhere I went like a puppy. He was a rabbit hunter too. He used to wait until someone of a gentle disposition was at the house before he caught one and decapitated it right in front of someone. Not fun for the rabbit obviously! Thanks for your help with my question. I'm going to send out a letter to the people who live on my lane asking them to think very carefully about putting poison down. Many thanks. Louise
I can imaine, Louise, how much Mister meant to you...these are our family and it is natural to feel some guilt....I have had a similar situation with my own animals and it is hard to come to terms with that helpless feeling and those feelings of "what if..." and "if only...". I had a situation a few weeks ago of a well loved cat that was being house sat by very good people and 3 days before they came home, she was found in the bushes almost gone...we tried everything to save her but in the end, she passed within a few days of the owner returning...it was so terrible and the owners, ike you, were devastated..."if only they had returned one week before" and "if only we would have....".

You are not alone Louise but know Mister loved you very much and you did everything in your power to keep him safe but some things are out of our control.

I am glad you asked your nieghbors just in case....

Mister will be with you in your heart forever, Louise...he knows you loved him!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your kind words. They really do mean a lot to me. I wish I could attach a picture of him. He was so beautiful. Thank you again. Xxx
I would LOVE to see a picture of Mister, Louise.....can you attach one using the paper clip? I do not mean to bother you but it is so nice to see who we are talking about....I know all too well how hard it is to lose our babies, Louise....hang in there!!!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It won't let me do it unfortunately. I'll keep trying. Honestly, I really appreciate you help with my question. It was tough to hear but it brought me some closure. Thanks again. X
Thanks anyways, Louise....I appreciate you trying....you can also send it to***@******.*** and they will forward the picture to me.

Thanks again...I am glad that you can get some closure to this terrible experience....Mister was a special guy!!
Thanks so much Louise for the picture...I LOVE the big gray kitties!! Mister was a handsome guy....you can see it in his eyes that he was a people cat....I knw you will miss him, Louise, but I hope he is in a better place...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So pleased it was forwarded to you. I would recommend this service to anyone. Thank you so much. X
I loved the picture, Louise! I had a gray cat that I loved and had a similar thing happen when I returned from vacation....I was so sad!!!

Try to have a nice holiday season Louise....Mister would want that.