Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

my 15 yo male indoor cat is having problems to do a poo keeps

my 15 yo male indoor cat is having problems to do a poo keeps going into litter tray with very little result appears to be eating ok
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Is he lethargic?
3- Is he urinating?
4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

1. about a week or so 2.not particularly 3. was having a bit of a problem about a week ago but seems ok now. 4. has always been generally ok

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Friend, it sounds like your cat is constipated. The key to constipation is adequate hydration. This is what you can do:

1- Get him to drink more by offering low sodium chicken broth.
2- Add 1-2 teaspoon of canned pumpkin to his food.
3- As a stool softener you can give 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of Miralax every 24 hours or Mineral oil 1 to 2 teaspoon every 12 hours. You can find these over the counter in any pharmacy.
4- You can also give milk as a stool softener; normally it causes diarrhea but in cases of constipation will act as a stool softener.
5- If he does not have a bowel movement within 12 hours of doing the above have him checked by a veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter