How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kara Your Own Question
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Category: Vet
Satisfied Customers: 17140
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867
Type Your Vet Question Here...
Dr. Kara is online now

My 10 week old puppy has bitten into bazuka verruca gel she

Resolved Question:

My 10 week old puppy has bitten into bazuka verruca gel she hasn't had much but the tube is punctured
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Vet
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'd like to help with your concerns about Truffle biting into a tube of Bazuka Verruca gel.
How is your girl behaving now?
The active ingredient in this product is salicylic acid, which is very similar to aspirin.
Side effects of oral ingestion will depend upon how much is ingested and can include irritation of the gums and tongue, esophagus and stomach, which could lead to drooling and nausea. The more that she ate, the more severe the effects.
Administration of 300 to 2,350mg per pound of body weight of methylsalicylic acid to dogs produced nausea, vomiting, an increased respiratory rate, excitation of the nervous system, diarrhea and a hypermetabolic state She ingested much less than that so I would expect that the effects you may see would be drooling, and possible nausea.
The rest of the ingredients are camphor, povidine, pyroxylin, ethanol and acetone. These are all likely to be irritants as well.
I'd recommend thoroughly flushing her mouth and tongue to remove as much as possible.
If she seems nauseous at all today to try and settle her stomach you can try either:
1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one half of a 10mg tablet per 4.5 to 10 kilograms of body weight every 12 hours.
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one half of a 10mg tablet per 4.5 to 10 kilograms of body weight every 24 hours.
These will reduce stomach acid and should help simple nausea and gastrointestinal irritation. Either one of these can be used for several days if necesaary.
You can also start a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger (or boiled, white skinless chicken), all fats and juices drained off, mixed with 2/3 boiled, plain white rice. Feed several small meals a day.
In most cases with a small exposure we see lots of drooling, and maybe some nausea, but that should be it. If she is vomiting repeated or refusing to eat she should see her veterinarian.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She isn't showing any bad side effects - still very lively and she has had a drink of water . Thank you for your help I will keep a close eye on her
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
That's great news. I would encourage her to drink more if possible. You can give her ice cubes to lick if she likes that. The key is diluting the irritant, and luckily in her case it sounds like she actually ingested very little.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Dr. Kara and 2 other Vet Specialists are ready to help you