Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My dog is shivering, won't eat or drink, and has a dry nose

Customer Question

My dog is shivering, won't eat or drink, and has a dry nose and tongue just over a day now and he hasn't got much energy?
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

The symptoms you describe point to an infection somewhere. Since there is no sign of a digestive issue, Staff may have picked up something that is causing him to not feel well. First, take Staff's temperature with a human rectal thermometer. Normal is 101 and anything over 104 indicates an infectious process.

For now, provide supportive care such as giving Staff 2-4 ounces of Pedialyte every 4 hrs and a dose of liquified canned dog food given in a sryinge or turkey baster. Then you can give asirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs which will help bring down his fever. If Staff does not respond to thsi you will have to take him to your vet for an exam and treatment to get sweet Staff past this.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****
Thank you so much, Karl, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope Staff feels better soon!

Happy Holidays!