Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My budgie has swollen bottom and I have to clean it sometimes

Customer Question

My budgie has swollen bottom and I have to clean it sometimes as his poop does not fall away as it should. Some days look worse than others.
Regards Julie
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
Julie, I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. It's unclear to me if Rossi's cloaca (the opening for both his feces and urine) is swollen or his entire bottom is swollen. The former - as well as his poop sticking to him - indicates diarrhea often due to a gram-negative bacterial infection or perhaps GI parasites - while the latter indicates a tumor - usually testicular or renal in male budgies.

In either event, you're going to need to find an avian-oriented vet who can examine Rossi and his poop for bacteria and parasites and then treat him appropriately. If a tumor is found, I'm afraid that you're going to lose him. Avoid over the counter avian antibiotics. They're not effective if only because ill birds don't drink enough water to medicate themselves properly.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a few days for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.
May I have an update on Rossi, please?