Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I have a 10 month old French Bulldog. She has runny pooh at

Customer Question

I have a 10 month old French Bulldog.
She has runny pooh at least once every day. She was on Gilpa, which is a dry food. I was told to try her on meat without grain additives so for the last two weeks that is what she's had but the problem persists. She is also very flatulent.
But she is well and full of energy.
Any ideas?
Jo Bower
Cornwall.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Here's how I would address such a patient:

1) Presumptively treat for gastrointestinal parasites with the daily administration of fenbendazole for seven days. This wormer is available over the counter and addresses all of the nematodes such as roundworms, hookworms, and whipworms as well as the protozoan Giardia. I recommend doing so even if a fecal ova and parasite exam hasn't revealed parasites.

2) If you don't see a positive result, consider a food intolerance. Food intolerance/allergy is addressed with prescription hypoallergenic diets. These special foods contain just one novel (rabbit, duck, e.g.) animal protein or proteins that have been chemically altered (hydrolyzed) to the point that Delia's immune system doesn't "see" anything to be allergic to. The over the counter hypoallergenic foods too often contain proteins not listed on the label - soy is a common one - and these proteins would confound our evaluation of the efficacy of the hypoallergenic diet. The prescription foods are available from her vet. There are many novel protein foods and a prototypical hydrolyzed protein food is Hill’s Prescription Diet z/d ultra (my preference). A positive response is usually seen within a few weeks if we’ve eliminated the offending food allergen. Food intolerance can arise at any age and even after our patient has been eating the same food for quite some time.

3) Perform a diagnostic panel of blood and urine tests including a TLI blood test looking for an exocrine pancreatic insufficiency - lack of digestive enzyme production by her pancreas. This testing might be performed prior to #1 or #2 if your vet suggests it.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you in a few weeks for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** taking the dig to a vet this morning. So, I won't require any more advice.
You may receive an inappropriate follow up sent by the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.

Please disregard the info request.