Dr. Susan
Dr. Susan, Veterinarian
Experience:  8 years of clinical experience with specialty in veterinary pain management, urology, and geriatrics
25524280

Hi I have accidentally applied spot on de wormer to my cats

I have accidentally applied spot on de wormer to my cats neck off-centre and he is able to reach it with his mouth - am trying to stop him but as you can imagine it is not easy - have also tried to wash off with water... Any recommendations, reassurances?
Sandra
Expert:  Dr. Susan replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Susan :

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

Dr. Susan :

Can you tell me specifically which brand of product you used?

Customer: Hi
Customer: it was Bob Martin
Dr. Susan :

Sure, let me check that out and I'll get right back to you.

Customer: Thanks!
Dr. Susan :

I'm having trouble finding the active ingredient, even on the Bob Martin website. Do you still have the box?

Dr. Susan :

It says 20mg on the front, but 20mg of what!! :)

Customer: 20mg of praziquantel is the active ingredient - it says it has other ingredients to allow it to be absorbed through skin
Dr. Susan :

Oh excellent. Praziquantel should be totally safe for ingestion. In fact, praziquantel is usually prescribed orally to treat for tapeworms.

Dr. Susan :

Often these topical products have things that are foul tasting, such as alcohol, which can cause foaming if they taste it.

Customer: Ahhh ok, so no need to panic then!
Dr. Susan :

You can still try to prevent him from reaching it, but unless there is some other ingredient which is a problem, the praziquantel is just fine!

Customer: Ok - thank you so much for putting my mind at rest. I've used this service before and find it very helpful and reassuring.
Customer: Am happy to pay the balance.
Dr. Susan :

Thank you! Please let me know if you have further questions. I am happy to continue until I provide the service that you seek.

Customer: Many thanks - will get back to you if I have any problem.
Dr. Susan :

Excellent!

Customer: Will leave chat open for the moment then will ensure I rate you excellent,
Customer: many thanks - and good evening
Dr. Susan :

You as well!

Customer: Just to let you know - all OK!
Customer: many thanks!
Customer: sandra